A house with a "for rent" sign and a man leading a couple inside

Landlord Insurance

Looking for a landlord insurance comparison? Calculate the cost to rebuild your rental property and get a fast Landlord Insurance quote. Live a little freer with AA Insurance.

Voted Most Trusted General Insurer by New Zealanders for 13 years running

Trust Badge

Use Promo Code: OFFER to grab a Prezzy® Card

Get a $100 Prezzy® Card with every new Home or Landlord policy and a $50 Prezzy® Card with every new Contents policy. Offer ends 20 March 2024. View Offer.

Terms and conditions apply.

Landlord Insurance Policy Benefits:

  • Replacement cover

    If you have taken steps to set an accurate  and size of your home, unless the damage to your home is caused by a natural disaster, we will settle your claim using replacement cover. This means you’ll be covered for the full cost of the repairs or rebuild of your home. If you’re not sure how to do this please check out our sum insured page.

  • Loss of rent

    If you have a current tenancy agreement in place and your tenants can't live in your rental home due to an event covered by your policy, we’ll cover the rent up to $20,000 or 12 months, while we repair the damage to your property.

Optional extras

  • Extended landlord cover

    You can choose our extended cover, which offers additional protection that’s tailored to properties that are tenanted.

    • If your tenant or their guest deliberately damages or steals from your property, we will cover the damage or loss up to $20,000.

    • We will cover up to eight weeks loss of rent if you need to evict your tenants, or if they leave without giving you the required notice.

    • Plus, if you find your tenants have been using or manufacturing illegal drugs we’ll pay up to $30,000 for decontamination and repair, including reimbursing you for the cost of discovering the contamination.

    Please be aware this cover only applies if you have a current tenancy agreement in place at the time of the event. Please see your policy document for full limitations and exclusions.

  • Landlord contents cover

    If you need cover for curtains or unfixed appliances, we will pay the cost to repair your contents or pay the  (whichever the lesser), up to the value of the sum insured you choose for your contents.

This page is only a summary of key benefits, and application for cover is subject to underwriting acceptance. For full details, exclusions and limitations, please read the policy document.

The free Cordell Sum Sure Calculator will help you work out an estimated rebuild cost.

Ready to get started?

Getting a quote only takes 5-10 minutes.

AA Home Response
Get access to expert, reliable tradespeople with your Home Insurance.

Take out Home Insurance with us and provided your home is in the available area, you’ll get AA Home Response on us. Not available where you live? Don’t worry, it’s coming to most regions soon.

Find out moreTerms and conditionsAA Home Response

What makes us different?

Personal Customer Managers

24 hour claims support

NZ based call centre

Helping you save

Frequently asked questions

If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please contact us.

Time will tell – understanding gradual damage

We’re often asked why some things are covered by insurance while others aren’t, like the damage caused from a leaky tap. So we thought we’d explain it here with a few examples.

Read more

Five landlord tips for rentals

There are more than 550,000* rental properties scattered throughout New Zealand, so it makes sense that as the market grows landlords better understand their rights and responsibilities. With this in mind, AA Insurance has put together a few tips to help make the property investment journey a smoother one.

Read more

*As voted by consumers 2011 – 2022 in the Reader’s Digest Trusted Brands survey. For more information visit aainsurance.co.nz/awards