COVID-19 update: We're open and here to help. We're a little busier than usual and appreciate your patience.

Covid-19 FAQs | Get in Touch | Manage policy online | Claim online

The reno’s done, so what next?

The renovations are complete and you’ve purchased a lot of fantastic new things to put into your house to make it a great first home – so now’s the time to consider protecting those things.

We’ve asked our home and contents insurance expert, Aaron Dickinson, to gives us his top five ideas on what to do once the DIY’s done, including tips if you decide to put it on the market.

1. Home Sum Insured

Tell your insurer once you’ve finished your renovations, to make sure your cover is up-to-date. For example, if you’ve increased the size of your home this will also increase the cost of rebuilding it if something was to happen. So, you might need to update your Sum Insured to ensure you have enough cover.

2. Contents Sum Insured

You’ll also need to update your contents cover so it includes any new furniture and accessories you’ve purchased. There’s a handy contents calculator, which you can use to help you add up the value of everything, and remove the guesswork.

3. Open Homes

If you’ve decided to put your home on the market then chances are you’re about to have a whole lot of people you don’t know come through during the open homes. If so, then it pays check with your insurer to know you’re covered.  It’s also a good idea to keep valuables like laptops, cameras and jewellery out of sight and locked away in a secure location.

4. Home Alone?

If there’s no one living in the house while you’re selling it, continue to remain vigilant with security, especially if you have home staging furniture and appliances. Make sure valuables can’t be seen from the outside the home, lock windows and doors, turn the alarm on, as well as the security light to deter potential thieves. Switch off or unplug appliances used ‘for show’ (don’t forget the hot water cylinder) to prevent electrical fires and keep your power bill down.

5. Unoccupied

If the home you usually live in is vacant for more than 60 days, then you’ll need to let your insurer know as this may have an impact on your excess should something happen to it or its contents.

About the writer:

As one of our executive team, Aaron’s responsible for developing insurance policies that meet our customers’ needs. Previously, he managed our home claims department, so knows a thing or two about looking after our customers’ home and contents as well as how they can best protect them.

Have a question for us?

Find out why we‘re consistently awarded best insurer and most satisfied customers:

Make an online enquiry

Call us on 0800 500 231

8am-8pm Monday to Friday.  8am-6pm weekends & holidays