Maintain your home, maintain your cover this winter
15 May 2019
Keeping your home in good nick sounds like a chore, but the benefits actually out-weigh the time it takes to maintain, repair and replace. And not only does it help you have a safer home, while protecting your investment, it also ensures your insurance cover stays in place. With winter coming, now could be a good time to get onto it - our AA Insurance home claims building experts share a few tips to help you keep your home in good working order:
- Ensure the roof is checked for any cracks, leaks and damage. Water damage, mould, or blistering paint on your ceiling could also indicate a leaky roof.
- Clear gutters regularly to prevent water backup. Make sure all gutters and drainpipes are attached properly, and water is draining away from the house or garage. The last thing you want to see in a storm is a deluge of water heading your way.
- Check walls and timber throughout the home (and garage) for decay, dry rot, or water damage.
- Don’t let gardens build up too close against external walls of the house, and keep an eye on mature trees growing next to fences, foundations and power lines.
- Maintain your fences and retaining walls, especially if they are starting to shift or fall, and look out for any cracks or movement from walkways and steps.
- Check for any changes to walls and floors around showers and baths for any indication of leaks.
- If you have an inexplicably high water bill make sure you check for a leak or damage to water pipes.
- Check that all power points, light switches and smoke detectors are working properly.
- Remember to check your garage and other outbuildings you have listed in your insurance policy. If a structure is rotten, rusty, leaking or generally in need of repair, then get onto it! Making repairs when they’re needed will not only prevent further damage, but will also save you time and money in the long run.
More helpful tips for you
Tools and Tips
Winter Weather Wisdom
With the cold snap hitting the country, we’ve put together a few winter tips to help you look after your home and car.
Access to Experts
Styling tips and trends to refresh your home
Looking to switch up your interior design style? HOMEmade interior designer, Melissa Greenough, shares her top tips to help you find your inspiration, and shares her thoughts on current trends and statements.