20 August 2018
You’ve packed your bags, left the cat with the neighbour, and organised some travel games for the kids. But what have you done to secure your home before heading away on holiday? Here are a few tips to help you get away.
- Hide all valuables. Keep your valuable items out of sight, or hidden away so they can’t be seen from outside your home.
- Remove bins and wood piles from windows and fences. Don’t give burglars a ‘leg up’ into your home. Also lock your shed, put away your tools and trim trees and shrubs so there are no places for burglars to hide.
- Lock cat flaps. And if you’re installing new access for kitty, avoid putting it within easy reach of door or window locks.
- Don’t advertise you’re away. Keep tell-tale messages that your home is unattended off the answering machine, and social networking sites.
- Talk to your neighbours. Let them know you’re going to be away, leave your contact phone number, and ask them to clear your mail, put washing on the line, or park in your driveway.
- Use it or lose it. Alarms, security lights, and deadlocks on doors and windows will only work if you use them – even if you aren’t away for long.
Let's get things sorted
If you like the sound of our insurance policy and would like more information or simply want a quick quote use the links below.
Find out more about...
Tools and Tips
How to look after your property while you’re away
Burglars aren’t the only threat to your home during the break. It’s entirely possible to have broken water pipes, burst hot water cylinders and power outages that cause headaches for homeowners. Here are our top three tips to keep your home in check while you’re away.