Keep safe, no rush to make a claim - AA Insurance
Auckland, 14 November 2016 – AA Insurance is urging customers affected by this morning’s earthquake activity to focus on keeping themselves, their family and pets safe before making a claim.
“If you have sustained earthquake-related damage to your home, contents or car there is no rush to make a claim if there is no immediate need to – the first priority is your safety,” says Simon Hobbs, Head of Claims at AA Insurance.
“However, if you need urgent repairs to make your home safe, or temporary accommodation, call us on 0800 500 216. We have staff available to help customers immediately.”
“As people return to their homes, they will start engaging insurers to help assess the damage and plan for the future. We are geared up for this,” he says. “However, at this stage it is too soon to know the extent of the claims, because aftershocks are still happening. Once people have time to assess the damage they’ll start contacting EQC or their insurer, but at this stage it’s more important to focus on their own safety.”
For customers not in immediate need, there’s no rush to make a claim. EQC will be taking care of the first $115k of house and $23k of contents damage (inc gst).
“Ring your insurer first if you need temporary accommodation or have any queries,” says Simon. “Then if you have minor or moderate earthquake-related damage you should contact EQC, as it will be taking care of the first $115k of house and $23k of contents damage. You can lodge a claim by contacting EQC directly, or make a claim online via the EQC website,” says Simon.
“EQC will then let us know that you’ve made a claim with them. You have three months to make your claims with EQC for any non-urgent repairs, so you have time to look after any critical matters first.”
AA Insurance advice for what to do after an earthquake:
If you need to leave your home - take these steps, if it’s safe to do so. Don’t re-enter a severely damaged building if it seems unsafe.
- Turn off the power, gas and water
- Secure your home as well as you can
- Take any easily portable valuables or documents with you; secure your contents as well as possible
- Make sure your pets are safe and keep them with you if you can
- Check on neighbours, especially if they live alone, are elderly or vulnerable
- Text rather than call family and friends to keep from overloading the phone lines
If your home is damaged
- Keep or take photos of any damaged items, including spoilt food if your power has gone off
- If possible, pack fragile items away until the aftershocks subside
- Keep clear of broken windows or roofs
- Take care when cleaning up broken glass or securing roofing
- Remove any fallen debris from footpaths and walkways, if you can do this safely
- If your vehicle has been severely damaged do not attempt to drive it
- AA Insurance customers should call 0800 500 216 for any further information
AA Insurance advises customers to be vigilant during this time, secure any breakables and valuables, and follow Civil Defence guidelines for their own safety – getthru.govt.nz
About AA Insurance
AA Insurance is an independently operated, New Zealand-based joint venture between the New Zealand Automobile Association (NZAA) and Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited (VINZL). Since 1994 we have demonstrated trusted expertise in home, contents and car insurance in New Zealand, and in 2018 introduced commercial small business insurance. We underwrite our own policies and sell direct to New Zealanders. Our more than 700 staff look after over 385,000 customers with around 745,000 policies.
We proudly partner with Eden Park, support youth charity Blue Light, and have been consistently recognised by: Reader’s Digest Most Trusted Brands (since 2011), IBM Kenexa Best Workplaces Survey (since 2008), Canstar Blue Most Satisfied Customers (2011-2018), and the Colmar Brunton Corporate Reputation Index (since 2015) that recognises New Zealand’s most successful companies.
For more information please contact:
Nicole Steven, Botica Butler Raudon Partners, (09) 303 3867, 021 025 31886 or email email@example.com
Find out more about...
Corporate Communications Specialist (Corporate Affairs), AA Insurance
Senior Corporate Communications Representative, AA Insurance
Account Manager, Botica Butler Raudon Public Relations
Marketing and sponsorship enquiries