Top 10 techy toys for Christmas – AA Insurance
Auckland, 30 November 2016 – If you struggle finding the perfect gift for the techy type in your life then take a look at AA Insurance’s ultimate gift guide for those who love the latest and greatest in technology.
“We asked the people in the know, our AAI technology and electronic suppliers, for their top pick of gifts this year,” says Amelia Macandrew, Customer Relations Manager, AA Insurance. “Kiwis are well known for being early adopters of technology, so we hope this list provides plenty of interesting ideas.”
Top 10 techy gifts for Christmas, in no particular order:
- Heart rate and fitness accessories/tools - Fitbit Charge 2 and Apple Watch Series 2
- Virtual reality headsets - Samsung Gear VR and PlayStation VR (PS VR)
- Flying camera drone
- Gaming - PlayStation Pro Console and PlayStation 4 1TB Slim Console
- Mobile - iPhone 6s , 7 & 7 Plus – from 16GB to 256GB
- Computing - iPad Pro 9.7"
- Video cameras - GoPro Hero4 and GoPro Hero5
- Star Wars robot – the Sphero BB-8 Battle-worn Bundle with Force Band (wristband) and the Sphero BB-8 App Enabled Droid
- Portable wireless speakers - Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2 and UE Mega Boom
- Speed blender - Nutri Ninja
“Unfortunately, we often see an increase in burglaries at this time of year with thieves doing their own kind of Christmas shopping. During the last Christmas period (Dec ’15 – Jan ’16) burglary claims were seven per cent higher than the rest of 2015, and 12 per cent higher than the same time the previous year,” she says.
“Digital items are a popular choice with burglars because nowadays we not only have more of them in our homes, but they are worth more, and are also lighter and easier to transport than ever before. A decade ago it would take one or even two people to carry a heavy old TV; nowadays one person can easily carry a TV, as well as a laptop, mobile and gaming console,” she says.
While it’s devastating when items are stolen, broken or lost, customers should be reassured that all items on the top 10 list are covered by AAI’s contents insurance policy should something happen before, or after, the wrapping paper comes off.
“However, if you’re fortunate enough to find one, or more, of these techy toys under your Christmas tree this year, it makes sense you’ll want to protect them so we’ve put together a few tips.”
Tips to keep your tech toys safe:
- If you’re in the car then take valuables with you when you get out; don’t leave them in the glove box or under the seat. However, if you need to leave them then keep them in the boot where they can’t be seen – thieves are just as keen to get a new phone or camera for the holidays as you are.
- Don’t leave your new techy toys where they can fall or get wet (unless of course they’re waterproof). Our claims data shows that most damage to things like laptops and mobiles, is caused by impact and liquid.
- If Santa brings you a new phone, iPad or laptop then back up your data regularly, keep a copy offsite with online services like iCloud, Dropbox or Google Drive, and remember to run anti-virus software. This will help ensure you keep all those precious memories and important information safe.
- Make sure your valuables, including gaming consoles and stereos, cannot be seen from the outside of your home.
- Be careful when disposing of any tell-tale packaging for TVs, drones and any new purchases. Pack them down properly before putting them into the recycling.
- You may be proud of your new pressies, but if you’re going to post them on social media be mindful of your privacy settings as well as who knows you’re about to head away on holiday, leaving a house full of new gifts.
- Update the sum insured figure of your contents policy to reflect your new gifts from Santa. Your insurer may also require you to specify some high value items, like expensive cameras. While they will still be insured if they’re lost, stolen or damaged, the amount of cover will be up to the event limit set by your insurer, unless they’re noted separately on your policy schedule.
About AA Insurance
AA Insurance is an independently operated, New Zealand-based joint venture between the New Zealand Automobile Association (NZAA) and Suncorp Group. We have demonstrated trusted expertise in home, contents and car insurance in New Zealand since 1994. We underwrite our own policies and sell direct to New Zealanders. Our more than 700 staff look after nearly 375,000 customers with over 710,000 policies.
We proudly partner with Eden Park, support youth charity Blue Light, and have been consistently recognised by: Reader’s Digest Most Trusted Brands (since 2011), NZ Insurance Industry Awards (since 2012), IBM Kenexa Best Workplaces Survey (since 2008), Canstar Blue Most Satisfied Customers (2011-2016), and the Colmar Brunton Corporate Reputation Index (since 2015) that recognises New Zealand’s most successful companies.
For more information please contact:
Nicole Steven, Botica Butler Raudon Partners, (09) 303 3867, 021 025 31886 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about...
Corporate Communications Specialist (Public Relations), AA Insurance
Corporate Communications Specialist (Corporate Affairs), AA Insurance
Account Manager, Botica Butler Raudon Public Relations
Marketing and sponsorship enquiries