No matter the season, it’s always important to keep your vehicle in tip top condition. Rain, hail or shine, make sure you take some time out to double check your car is road ready and have a read of our tips for taking care of your windscreen:
1. If your windscreen has any chips, get them repaired immediately. Many can be easily filled with a special resin to prevent them from spreading, which is much cheaper and less time consuming than having a windscreen replaced later down the track. It’s worth noting that if the chip is larger than 25mm, your car will fail its Warrant of Fitness. Talk to your insurer as this may be covered under your policy.
2. Take care and go easy - vibrations caused by driving, hitting a pothole or even slamming your car doors will encourage a chip to expand.
3. If there’s more of a crack than a chip in your windscreen, you’ll need it replaced for your own driving safety. Talk to your insurer as this may be covered under your policy.
4. If there’s any rust on the surround of your windscreen or it’s looking worn or cracked, this may weaken its integrity or prevent it from remaining watertight, so get it repaired or replaced.
5. If you notice arc shaped scratches on the glass, then consider cleaning or replacing your windscreen wipers. Chances are they’re either worn out or have something trapped under them like dirt or sand that is being pulled across the glass. Don’t forget the rear wiper as well.
6. For maximum visibility, clean your windscreen and windows, inside and out, with the right fluid like water and vinegar, or special car window cleaner. Avoid ammonia-based household window cleaners, especially if your windows are tinted. We all know there's nothing worse than trying to drive with a foggy windscreen.
Now’s a great time to review your insurance. We recommend checking your details are up to date and ensuring the policy and cover you’ve chosen is right for you and your insurance needs.
If you have any questions about your insurance, need to update your AA Insurance policies or would like a quote, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re open from 8am to 8pm weekdays and from 8am to 6pm weekends and public holidays.