A couple moving into their rental, putting things on shelves

Renters Insurance

Looking for a student or renter’s insurance comparison? Use our Contents Insurance Calculator to get a fast renter's insurance quote from New Zealand's Most Trusted General Insurer. Live a little freer with AA Insurance.

Voted Most Trusted General Insurer* by NZers for 12 years running

Trust Badge

Renters Insurance Policy Benefits:

  • Two levels of cover

    Protect the things you value with award-winning contents cover from AA Insurance. With two different types of cover, you can rest easy knowing if something happens we’ll sort things out for you. Compare our contents products here.

  • New for old

    If something you own is stolen, lost or damaged beyond repair - we'll replace your item with a new one or with the nearest available equivalent.

    While most items will be covered by new for old cover, certain items such as clothing, footwear and cosmetics, or those items which don’t have a suitable replacement item available, will be settled at the 


  • Excess-free cover for food spoilage

    If you choose our Contents Insurance Policy, we’ll pay up to $1,000 if food is spoiled as a result of your fridge/freezer breaking down, or if your power supply is accidentally interrupted. 

    If our Limited Contents Insurance Policy suits you better, you’re covered up to $500 if food is spoiled as a result of your fridge/freezer breaking down, or if your power supply is accidentally interrupted.

    When making a claim for this benefit, you won’t need to pay your excess if there is no other damage.

  • Legal liability

    If you accidentally damage someone else’s property, such as breaking a vase in a store – we’ll protect you against any claim they make, up to $2 million.

  • Business tools and professional equipment

    If you have business tools and professional equipment but don't require additional business cover, these are automatically covered under your Contents Insurance Policy for up to $3,000 per event, or your Limited Contents Insurance Policy for up to $2,500 per event. 

    Need more cover than this? No problem. Just tell us how much cover you need, and we can adjust your limit.

  • Adjustable event limits

    You don’t need to list individual items, but you might need to tell us the total combined value for things like jewellery, cameras, bicycles, works of art and business tools if you’re the value is more than your existing policy limit. 

    Compare the adjustable event limits on our Contents Insurance policies or contact us to discuss whether you will need more cover for any items.

  • Optional extras

    You can choose to add optional extras to your policy giving you greater flexibility and cover that suits your needs. Compare our contents products and optional extras here.

This page is only a summary of key benefits, and application for cover is subject to underwriting acceptance. For full details, exclusions and limitations, please read the policy document.

The free 'Sum Insured Pty Ltd' contents calculator will help you work out the value of your home contents.

Use the contents calculator

Ready to get started?

Getting a quote only takes 5-10 minutes.

What makes us different?

  • Personal Customer Managers

  • 24 hour claims support

  • NZ based call centre

Frequently asked questions

If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please contact us.

Am I covered by my contents insurance if something happens to my belongings while I'm away on holiday?

If you are going on holiday in New Zealand, the contents you take on holiday with you and the contents you leave at home while you are away will be covered.

If you will be away from your home for more than 60 days, the contents at your home address are still covered. An additional excess which is noted on your policy schedule will apply from day 61 of your home being unoccupied.

The contents you take with you overseas are not covered under your Contents Insurance or Limited Contents Insurance policy. However, you can purchase AA Travel Insurance to cover your belongings while you are overseas.

I've just moved into my first flat. Am I still covered under my parents’ contents policy?

If you have moved out of your parents' home and taken your belongings with you then you will no longer be covered by their Contents Insurance, so you will need to take out your own policy. Unlike a family home, if you are flatting, your Contents Insurance only covers your belongings and not your flatmates' belongings as well.

Are my contents covered if someone takes something from my property during an open home, a party or during a tradesperson's visit?

If you have our Contents Insurance Policy, we will cover your contents if they unexpectedly go missing, as long as when you have invited a guest into your home you have taken reasonable steps to ensure your contents are safe. You are not covered for any acts by your guest that are intentional, reckless or have criminal intent, other than theft.

If you have our Limited Contents Insurance Policy, you will not be covered in the above scenario as the cover is limited to burglary, fire, storm, flood and natural disaster only.

I'm a student who is living in a boarding school or in tertiary accommodation. Am I still covered under my parents’ contents policy?

If you're a student at boarding school, you will be covered under your parents’ Contents Insurance Policy with AA Insurance while you are temporarily living away from your home.

If you're a student living in tertiary accommodation provided by your college or university temporarily (i.e.; you still live at home, but you stay away from home at your tertiary accommodation during term time/the semester) you may be covered under your parents’ Contents Insurance Policy with AA Insurance. This is up to the cost of $5,000 and includes your legal liability. Check your policy documents to see if you are covered for this.

*As voted by consumers 2011 – 2022 in the Reader’s Digest Trusted Brands survey. For more information visit aainsurance.co.nz/awards