Contents Insurance

Looking for contents insurance? We’ve got you covered. Get a contents insurance quote from New Zealand's Most Trusted General Insurer. Live a little freer with AA Insurance.

Voted Most Trusted General Insurer* by NZers for 12 years running

Trust Badge

Contents Insurance Policy Benefits:

  • New for old

    If something you own is stolen, lost or damaged beyond repair - we'll replace your item with a new one or with the nearest available equivalent.

    While most items will be covered by new for old cover, certain items such as clothing, footwear and cosmetics, or those items which don’t have a suitable replacement item available, will be settled at the 

  • Excess-free cover for food spoilage

    We’ll pay up to $1,000 where food is spoiled due to your fridge/ freezer breaking down, or if your power supply is accidentally interrupted. You won’t need to even pay your excess if there is no other damage.

  • Business tools and professional equipment

    If you have business tools and professional equipment but don't require additional business cover, these are automatically covered under your Contents Insurance Policy for up to $3,000 per event.

    If you need additional business cover, our Small Business Insurance may be right for you. Please call us on 0800 500 231 to discuss further.

  • Adjustable event limits

    You don’t need to list individual items, but you might need to tell us the total combined value for things like jewellery, cameras, bicycles, works of art and business tools.

    Check our policy document or contact us to discuss whether you need more cover for any items.

  • Legal liability

    If you accidentally damage someone else's property, such as breaking a vase in a store - we'll cover you for any claim they make, up to $2 million.

Optional extras

  • $100 Excess on eyewear

    You can choose to reduce your excess to $100 if you need to make a claim for spectacles, sunglasses or contact lenses. 

  • Excess-free hearing aid cover

    You can choose to add Excess-free hearing aid cover to your policy. This means you won’t need to pay any excess if a claim is made for your hearing aids.

This page is only a summary of key benefits, and application for cover is subject to underwriting acceptance. For full details, exclusions and limitations, please read the policy document.

The free 'Sum Insured Pty Ltd' contents calculator will help you work out the value of your home contents.

Use the contents calculator

Ready to get started?

Getting a quote only takes 5-10 minutes.

What makes us different?

  • Personal Customer Managers

  • 24 hour claims support

  • NZ based call centre

Frequently asked questions

If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please contact us.

Does my contents insurance policy cover broken screens (such as mobile phone, laptop or tablet screen)?

If you have our Contents Insurance Policy, there is cover for damage, theft and accidental damage to your belongings. This includes your mobile phone and other electronics. If you have damaged an electronic gadget, you can start your claim online here or by calling us on 0800 500 216.

If you have our Limited Contents Insurance Policy, cover for accidental loss, theft and accidental damage is not automatically included. However, you can purchase the optional benefits ‘Mobile Phone Cover’ and/or ‘Laptop and Tablet Cover’ which will extend your cover to include accidental loss, theft, and accidental damage (for example, if you crack your phone screen) for these items.

What does my contents insurance cover?

Our contents insurance policies cover belongings kept in or around your home that are owned by you or your family. They also cover contents that you or family members living with you are responsible for, such as hired goods or medical equipment supplied by hospitals.

For a comprehensive list of what our policies do and don't cover, please see our contents insurance policy documents page.



What happens to my contents insurance if I go on holiday?

If you are going on holiday in New Zealand, the contents you take with you will still be covered.

If you will be away from your home for less than 60 days, the contents at your address are still covered. If you are away from home for more than 60 days, a long-term unoccupied excess will apply from day 61 of your home being empty.

Contents you take overseas with you are not covered, however AA Travel Insurance can be purchased here.

Do I need receipts or valuations for all of my contents?

If you need to make a claim, receipts and valuations are a good way to show what you are claiming on. If you don't have a receipt of valuation, you can also use photos, financial statements or records kept by the shop where you purchased the item. 

Contents insurance for beginners

Contents insurance for beginners

Price is often a motivating factor for choosing contents insurance, but the cheapest may not be the best for your circumstances.

Renovating's a great idea but what about your contents?

Renovating's a great idea but what about your contents?

You’ve made a start on the reno, and have just added up the cost of all those big ticket items you’ve installed. Now you’re wondering how to protect them while the work is still underway.

*As voted by consumers 2011 – 2022 in the Reader’s Digest Trusted Brands survey. For more information visit