Two cyclones in two weeks causes surge in insurance claims
Auckland – 13 April 2017 – AA Insurance says that the two cyclones to hit New Zealand in the last two weeks – Cyclone Debbie and now Cyclone Cook – have caused a big surge in insurance claims.
“Cyclone Debbie kept our claims team busy and we’ve now received almost 400 claims related to storm and flooding damage,” says Simon Hobbs, Head of Claims, AA Insurance. “We have already received over 30 claims relating to Cyclone Cook, however we expect this to rise rapidly as the worst of the heavy rain and winds are still to arrive.
“Safety should be the first priority for people affected by the weather. We’re keen to hear from customers who are unable to stay in their homes and need assistance, or who require urgent repairs to their homes to keep them watertight and warm,” says Simon.
AA Insurance advises its customers to:
- Make sure you, family and pets are safe first. There is no rush to make a claim for your home or contents, so once you're safe and settled, get in touch with us if you need to make a claim
- If you need urgent repairs to make your home safe, or if you need temporary accommodation, call us on 0800 500 216
- Do not attempt to inspect or repair any damage until it is safe to do so
- If the floors are wet, lift your furniture off the floor to prevent staining
- Keep your damaged items if they are safe to do so, or take photos – this is useful to confirm what needs replacing
- If your vehicle has been damaged or suffered flooding it may be unsafe to drive
About AA Insurance
AA Insurance is an independently operated, New Zealand-based joint venture between the New Zealand Automobile Association (NZAA) and Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited (VINZL). Since 1994 we have demonstrated trusted expertise in home, contents and car insurance in New Zealand, and in 2018 introduced commercial small business insurance. We underwrite our own policies and sell direct to New Zealanders. Our more than 700 staff look after over 385,000 customers with around 745,000 policies.
We proudly partner with Eden Park, support youth charity Blue Light, and have been consistently recognised by: Reader’s Digest Most Trusted Brands (since 2011), IBM Kenexa Best Workplaces Survey (since 2008), Canstar Blue Most Satisfied Customers (2011-2018), and the Colmar Brunton Corporate Reputation Index (since 2015) that recognises New Zealand’s most successful companies.
For more information please contact:
Nicole Steven, Botica Butler Raudon Partners, (09) 303 3867, 021 025 31886 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about...