Making a claim for damage to your home can be stressful, especially if you’ve never had to do it before but rest assured, we’re here to help. We’ve outlined some of the typical steps involved in making a home insurance claim.
- You’ve just lodged your claim. You’ll receive a claim number, and we’ll assign an AA Insurance customer manager who will be the main point of contact for your claim. Your customer manager will review your claim, answer any questions you may have and keep you informed about the progress along the way.
- If you require urgent help, for example, urgent repairs to make your home safe or emergency accommodation if your home can no longer be lived in, it’s important you let us know so we can get onto this immediately.
- Next, we’ll start work to assess the damage your home has suffered. To help with this, we may appoint an independent insurance assessor or other experts such as a loss adjuster, a project manager or other trade specialist. They may visit you to assess the loss or damage, confirm the cause, or assist us with validating the claim. Depending on the damage and complexity, this step could require multiple visits and could take weeks or even months for us to determine the repairs required and progress to the next step.
- Once we’ve received all relevant assessments and reports, we’ll work with you to decide the best settlement option for you and your claim. This could involve us managing the repairs or rebuild of your home or a cash settlement. This is dependent on several factors and is individual to your claim and situation so your customer manager will discuss this with you.
- If repairs to your home are being managed by us, we’ll begin arranging these. If, however, you’re receiving a cash settlement, we’ll send you some documents to review and return to us. If you have a mortgage on your home, you may also need to discuss your cash settlement with your bank as they will need to agree/advise you on which bank account the proceeds of your claim are to be paid into. This only applies to building claims.
- Once repairs are complete or when your cash settlement is accepted and paid, we’ll close your claim.